|L to R: today's big pot, a little one from the same firing, and the big pot of a week ago.|
I fired another large pot this week, another long firing that ended with me all tired, smelling of burnt cooking oil and smoke, and thinking that a change of career for something with sensible hours and, oh, some pay would be nice too!
This morning I opened the kiln and took out the result of the firing. Now I want to make more pots again!
The pot is 19 and a half inches tall (nearly half a metre), and I applied a crystalline glaze with a dash of copper carbonate in it to the top third, and a saturated iron glaze with a chun glaze over the top to the lower two thirds. I had planned for the crystalline glaze to run over the ones on the lower part of the pot, but was not sure how far the glaze would run, but I did expect it to be very mobile, crystalline glazes are!
I fired to cone 9 (1260C/2300F), then dropped the temperature in stages to around 1100C (2012F), holding it around there for about 6 hours. After that I let the temperature drop to 800C (1472F) and introduced a line that dripped cooking oil into the kiln. I kept up the oil drip until the kiln was to 650C (1202F), turned it off, then let the kiln cool naturally from that point. It took me 24 hours from the start of the firing, to the time I was able to leave the kiln to cool. Two firings of that kind less than a week apart was not ideal, but I really needed this pot!
There are stunning "rainbow" effects where the crystalline glaze has put out astonishing purples, oranges, and iridescent colours where it has moved over the saturated iron glaze, this is something I never expected to happen. I did plan for the flowing glaze over glaze effect, in fact it my purpose when I made the pot to give room for a crystalline glaze to really run.
I am pleased with the crystals, they are very strong looking with well defined margins, and there are not too many of them.
Well, I'll keep this short, I am actually falling asleep at the keyboard!