Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bird Jug and Lily





Another bird jug popped up in the midst of doing other things and I have included photos of it freshly incised and slipped. The jug is a portly fellow, a bit like our native pigeons, and stands about a foot high. I have mostly been making coffee mugs over the last two or three days using the electric wheel. I don't use the electric wheel very often, but I am supposed to be demonstrating pottery at the end of the month at Gallery-On-Blueskin at Waitati, a town that is close to us, and will need to use the electric wheel there I think as it is easier for me to transport. If anything I am throwing too thinly these days, and had a few mugs collapse before I had fine tuned my "radar".

Laura took a photo of a spectacular Lily that is growing out in our garden. It might bring some sunshine to you folk in the Northern parts of the globe that are still dealing with snow.

2 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

Peter - what a fabulous jug - nice & fat! I love the texture & your handle is wonderful. How much clay do you start with to get it a foot tall. Mine were about 9" -- and it's nice to see lilies on a bright & sunny -warm- day!

Peter said...

Judy,
Many thanks for your encouragement.
I think the jug is about 5 or 5 and a half pounds freshly thrown. I would really like to get them lighter, but I was ending up with spiralled heaps of clay when trying too hard the same day I threw that one.