Well, another firing packed and under way as I write this. Probably a 12.30 to 1am finish tonight, which is getting earlier.... but not as early as I would like. I had hoped to have got my firing away sooner today to make for an earlier finish, but ran into real frustrations whilst loading the kiln. All I needed was for the kiln to be half an inch taller and it would have been all right, but as it was I ended up spending about an extra hour trying to find ways of fitting 8 pots into the kiln, and only fitting 6. So I am late again!
Anyway, I had a mixed bag of bowls from the firing before. Two of my larger bowls came out very differently than planned. Probably I made the glaze just slightly thin and maybe fired a nudge lower than was best for them, but the bowls had a cover of dense crystals without the gaps in between that I had hoped for. I was a bit discouraged to begin with, but have ended up liking one of them.
I am pleased with a glaze test that I did, in that it has come out as expected, with blue and grey crystals on a iron orange background.
It is rather reminiscent of brush strokes of an oil painting close to, and I think it will look good on one of the larger pots.
One small bowl is rather lovely.
This glaze by Lasse Östman (recipe #6713/kaeg1) yielded beautiful blue crystals with an almost black background on this bowl.
Starting with one base, and then modifying it seems a really good way to learn.
This was another successful bowl from the firing (Thanks Lasse!).
As you can imagine, I have been rather wondering around in a state of tiredness with my head all full of firing and glazing, but I did see this lovely little moth last night.
Sorry I shook a bit whilst taking the photo, the light was appalling. The moth had the most intricate lace like patterning in black and white.