The Shed... Arrives!

The shed took a little longer to reach here then it might have, as it was sent right through to Dunedin to a depot, then it had to wait for our local carrier to bring it out with a truck that has a crane on it, and they don't run that one out from town every day of the week. The delay was not a problem, as clearing trees and organizing a fairly level site took time to do, and so we were only just ready for the shed when it did arrive.

I spent a few hours carrying the timber for the shed, from the place where it was delivered to the site where I am building it. I think that the total weight is well in excess of 900 kilogrammes, so I carried nearly a ton of shed that day!

The shed is a kitset one, and I bought it from Sheds NZ who are located just outside Christchurch. Times are very difficult for a lot of Christchurch people after the earthquake and it is good to be able to order something from a Christchurch business. All the timber for the shed is colour coded and pre cut, so I will just have to join things together and hammer in nails. The building instructions were packed somewhere near the middle of the bundle of parts, so it was some time before I knew what the green, orange, blue, and purple dots at the end of the sticks of timber stood for, but the instructions look easy to follow and are encouraging!

I have been digging holes and putting in posts for the foundations. Really a shed like I am building would be happy enough built on skids, but I would like some air under the shed to keep it dry, and the land has a slope. It has been hard physical work, as we are on really heavy clay soil, but it has been satisfying to find that I can get these things done. I have two more holes to dig, and four more posts to put in, then the actual building should start to take place more rapidly.

Autumn is here now, there is a hint of frost some nights, and poplars are starting to turn golden. As the season of growth and warmth closes, there is fruit to pick from the apple tree and from the quince tree also. Our pears are very small this year as a result of too much overcrowding and shading from other trees, but I hope to make life better for them over the next few weeks by taking out more trees, and letting in some light.

Ginger says "Hello" to all his fans...., I think he should write the next post, his literary efforts are more entertaining than mine!

Comments

Arkansas Patti said…
Hay, we love to hear from either of you. Don't envy your digging those post holes. Think that will be the hardest part. Add rocks and I have similar soil. Keep us posted on the progress.
Tracey Broome said…
Well, Peter I just went through the very same process, so all I can say is good luck and soak in a hot tub every night!
Linda Starr said…
Beautiful color to those apples, good luck with the shed building, nice to see that crane truck delivery, Gary once did that with pallets of brick, quite exciting hoisting them over buildings people and all. Hope you do some relaxing in their too. I have a giveaway on blog right now.
Angie said…
I think you have a lot of work a head ....dont push yourself too much though ... cant wait for the next post from your feline correspondant.
I hope you friends in Japan are alright still ....what a time they must be having... I heard there was another quake a few days ago.
cookingwithgas said…
this should be fun!
keep us posted!
Peter said…
Hi Patti,
It has been raining quite a bit over the last two days and my rock-like clay has softened to a firm cheese texture, and is much easier to dig if I don't end up wallowing in it like an old hippopotamus!
Glad we don't have actual rocks in it... that would make things almost impossible!

Hi Tracey,
Sadly, no hot tub here..., but we do have a shower! I followed your shed building posts with great interest, and am most impressed with what you achieved. It must be so nice for you to have your own work area out there now.

Hi Linda,
Lovely apples those, and they are of no known variety, being a self seeded tree. The tree seems very resistant to pests and disease, and looks after itself. The apples are firm textured and sweet (if they get enough sun), there is also something about the flavour.. just a hint, that reminds me of old fashioned russet apples. Always an anxious moment when a heavy palette of stuff is unloaded..., I was visualising what would happen if it was dropped!

Hi Angie,
Ginger is warming up his braincells in front of the electric heater this morning. He may be trying to achieve a state of literary inspiration, and I am sure that he is thinking many deep and clever thoughts. It is raining outside, so that does give him time to devote himself to the arts, rather than to hunting or defending his territory!

Hi Meredith,

"Fun"... yes it will be! And the sticky clay that I am digging up does look tempting too. A bit of a wasted resource that I am sitting on, and I must try throwing some on the wheel.
Amy said…
how exciting for you! looking forward to seeing pictures of your finished (or soon to be finished) shed....

Popular Posts