Sunday, March 11, 2012
These handles look sturdy enough, and they need to be as they belong to a fairly large pot that has a very small foot.
As usual, I have been experimenting, asking questions "why" and "why not"! I have often noticed the old Greek, Roman, and Egyptian pots that almost come to a point at the bottom end. You could push these into sand or soft ground to help them stand up, or leave them lying on their sides. I love the shape of pots like these, and have sometimes speculated about how they were made.
I did not attempt to copy a museum example of such a pot, but as a little experiment I made something of my own that also came to a narrow base. I made the bottom half upside down, then turned it up the "right way" two days later when it was stiff enough. The narrow foot of this inverted cone-shape was placed inside a suitably sized pot on the wheel to give it some stability. Coils of clay were added to the top, one at a time, and thrown higher until the pot was finished.
One thing leads to another, and I made a further two pots, and added handles to these ones. The pots are all about 23 inches tall (58.42cm), but they will lose some height as they dry, and when they are fired.
Other tall and unstable things that are in our area at the moment are my sunflowers. The biggest of these are now about 10 feet tall (3 mtrs). One is just starting to show a flower at the top.
My tomato growing saga is reaching the "end game" as we came perilously close to frosts on two nights recently. I had some success with my attempts to vibrate the flowers to help them pollinate, but the little tomatoes that have set really need about 3 weeks of good sunshine to colour them up. We did pick the one and only tomato that went a reasonable shade of orange. Some local people who are far more clever than me at growing food for the table have had more success (although I believe that everyone has found tomatoes difficult this year). We were delighted to receive this lovely basket of good things from someone who had recently acquired some of my pottery.
Nigella Stopit found an alternative use for my ukulele case when I was busy practicing. I must say that she looks rather lovely curled up in it. One of her back feet kept slipping out of the case because everything was on a steep angle, but she was determined to sleep in it never-the-less!