Putting a Lid on it, and Decorating with Puddles!








I would like to make a crystalline glazed teapot or two soon. The outside of the teapot would get the crystalline glaze, and the inside would have a good reliable glaze that is more suitable for domestic ware. Glazing a teapot with crystalline glazes is not without some difficulty, as the extremely fluid nature of the glaze when it is at high temperature makes lids, spouts, and handles rather a challenge. It is only too easy to get glaze ending up in the wrong places! I made some lidded jars to help me gain the necessary skills before moving onto glazing teapots. The colour is mostly manganese, but there is a little copper carbonate in there too. You do have to take care with manganese, especially if the glaze calls for a high percentage of it, as the fumes are hazardous. Make sure that area around the kiln is well ventilated.




I like to exploit the runny nature of a crystalline glaze, and try to find ways to allow it to build up into a deep "puddle" somewhere on the pot, that is why I made this vase have such a flattened area between neck and shoulder.





Where this glaze is allowed to pool it gets very dark indeed, then quite pale where it is thinner. It is a case of letting the shape do the decorating!


Thanks for the comments on the last post, I appreciated them. It is interesting to have a glimpse of how things are politically around the world! I thought I had better put this new post up tonight as there are rather strict laws around political advertising and comment around election day in New Zealand. Apparently no "selfies" are allowed in polling booths, and it may be against the law to "tweet" about how you are voting on twitter, in case you influence others! I think there is a $20,000 fine available for such sins. I think we are back to normal again after 7pm tomorrow when voting closes and the counting starts! So, my lips are sealed about the great and powerful until then!

Comments

Sandy Miller said…
Oh Peter those crystals are just beautiful! Yes, to that teapot!!

Oh I don't even know where to begin with the political stuff. In it up to neck and paying attention and wonder why we aren't all in the streets with pitchforks and lanterns……

Best to you!
Melissa Rohrer said…
Beautiful stuff! And, I was a little late in viewing your last post but was quite impressed. It seemed very well informed.
Arkansas Patti said…
I am glad the rough stuff surrounding your elections will be over soon. Those are some steep fines. Be careful.
That blue vase is just stunning. You do marvelous work.
Anna said…
I love the look of crystalline glazes but the seeming bother with the runs has always put me off... these are beautiful..
Peter said…
Good Morning Sandy, Michèle, Melissa, Patti and Anna, thank you all so much for your comments. The election here has come and gone, and NZ has edged a little more right of centre than before. The good thing is that the sun rises in the morning, and sets in the evening, the wind still blows, and the world goes on turning without much regard as to who our political leaders are! And that must dent their egos! I guess it is time to put away the pitchforks and throw some pots!
Anna, the runny nature of crystalline glazes is certainly one thing that can cause a lot of bother, and I do find that the extra work preparing crystalline glazed pots for their firing, and grinding off runs and so on can leave me rather frustrated. There is also a lot of testing involved.. in many respects I find that every firing is like an experiment, and there many that don't work out... But... they are really lovely when they do! I'm glazing and firing more of them this week....
Sue said…
Hi Peter,
Interesting comments regarding politics in the previous blog post. Hmmmm...what an outcome.
Your pots are as amazing as always. I love the blue one in particular.
Its lovely to see spring emerging around about us. Enjoy the warmer days.
Sue
Peter said…
Hi Sue,
Good to hear from you. It was amazing how spring bounced back again with a couple of nice warm days after snow blocked the road to Dunedin on Monday! :). I'm a bit bemused about the political thing.. I'm swinging between slight relief and moderate sadness about the result. I am rather glad that Mr Peters isn't playing at being "king maker"! I hate to see the left so decimated, and I'd really love to see the Greens taken more seriously and having more say in what goes on.
Armelle Léon said…
Nice pots Peter, the close up shows something wonderful, wish you success with your next firing too
Peter said…
Bonjour Armelle,
Ah, sunshine here again, and we have just had "le déjeuner sur l'herbe", but with less scandal than that enjoyed by Édouard Manet when he did a painting with the same title! I unloaded a good firing this morning, and am glazing pots for another firing that I hope to do tomorrow. Best wishes from us all, P,L & NS

Popular Posts