Necks, Shoulders, Bellies and Feet, Pots are Almost Human!

 

After running into technical difficulties with the last two crystalline glaze firings I decided to make more pots that I can use to help test the problem glazes, and hopefully also get some successes along the way!

I decided to make some pots with narrow openings that I can leave unglazed on the inside, and some test pieces that I can glaze inside and outside with a variety of glaze combinations.

 

I enjoyed making the new narrow necked pots, they are rather fun really and a bit magical, with the final opening being too small for the hand or even a finger they are a bit of a conjuring trick! I made them without a plan as such, but let my mind and hands work fairly intuitively, I guess it was a form of stream of consciousness potting! It was nice to play with necks and shoulders, and the fullness of the pot, and to see which ones I liked best, or left me feeling like there was something about the pot that still needed to be resolved.

 It was also interesting to view the pots as a group and to see the very human character that many had. It is no co-incidence that pots that are made by humans, often look a little like humans!

A sense of proportion and balance is a very personal thing. I realise that there have been attempts to codify aesthetics and come up with rather formal ways of doing things, such as the "rule of thirds" or the "golden mean", but I prefer to try to discover what really feels right or wrong for me. I do think that it is also good to occasionally make something that quite deliberately feels all wrong! This can be a really refreshing exercise, and can clear out a few mental cobwebs and open up all sorts of unexpected possibilities!

Comments

smartcat said…
Elegant.
Remember when I started potting agin, after doing a lot of figure drawing, I said that It was the same concern. Feet, shoulders, etc.
Peter said…
Thank you Gwynneth :-)

Hi Suzi (Smartcat), lovely to hear from you. It is a long time since I did figure drawing, but it would be a fascinating thing to do whilst also working with clay, I think that the two disciplines would help and compliment each other.
Armelle Léon said…
They are beautiful, love the narrow necks with big bellies, it's a long time I didn't post any comment, and it's a long time I wrote a letter, I think you will have it in person, my colleague Noelie is near Dunedin in New Zealand, is your studio open ? Hello to Laura.
Peter said…
Bonjour Armelle,

How lovely to hear from you again, it is really good to hear from you. Noelle is welcome to visit us, our studio is open Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sunday afternoons, but we are almost always at the studio so are happy to see them when it suits them best.

We are very easy to find, but I can email you contact details so Noelle can get in touch.

Laura says "Hello" and our cat Nigella sends happy purrs!

Popular Posts